Insights from UITP Summit 2019
First, we would like to thank the whole UITP team for organizing once again a perfect event. UITP Summit is a rotating event, that takes place in every two years. Previous Summit was held in Montreal, Canada and that was also the first time for Ridango to be present with an exhibition stand.
Scandinavia has been in the forefront of public transport innovation already for a long time, so Stockholm was a great choice to host the 2019 UITP Summit. Next event is going to be held in another two years’ time in Melbourne, Australia and Ridango will definitely present our newest technologies and innovations there as well.
As this time the Summit was held so close to our hometown, many people from Ridango’s different departments had a chance to visit the event and to meet our clients and partners. It is also vital to take a closer look on industry’s trends and innovations in general and Summit exhibition provided an excellent opportunity to do that as well.
Some takeaways from the exhibition area:
- Account-based ticketing – Importance of account-based ticketing is still growing globally. It enables easier integrations, faster implementation time and reduces the TCO (total cost of ownership).
- Contactless bank card payments (cEMV) – Interoperability through cEMV and cashless operation is becoming a standard in public transport ticketing. There are many new payment service providers but having previous experience specifically in public transport is crucial.
- Mobility apps – MaaS is still a buzzword and many new mobility app providers have entered the market. Ridango has contributed to the field by launching Movingo application, which is based on Swedish national interoperability standard BoB and is currently used throughout 6 different counties in Sweden.
- New hardware providers – There is a new wave of ticketing hardware producers, who are looking for an opportunity to be part of the growing market.
- Public transport goes green – From electrical buses to e-scooters – PTA’s are thinking about sustainability and taking steps towards greener future.